This article provides necessary information regarding the procedure that you might require to change pre-existing contact details associated with your Microsoft account. Before going through the procedure, it is essential to know the basics of Microsoft account.
Know your Microsoft account
If you want to make productive use of Microsoft and its services, it is necessary for you to have a Microsoft account. With the help of this account, you can easily manage your services and subscriptions, such as OneDrive, Outlook, Skype, Xbox live, and more.
You can sync up 10 email addresses and phone numbers to this account. You can make use of the same contact, online subscriptions, and account settings with the different email address associated with your account. Also, it makes you eligible to access all the devices and services by just signing it to one Microsoft account.
Read More >> How to determine virus-free and cloud protected Windows 10 IOT experience?
As your email IDs shares a single password, you have the option to send or receive emails from different IDs at a single time. The only difference will be the “username”. Whenever you feel the requirement of updating your account credentials you can easily do it without any hassle.
Here are some reasons why you might want to change the details:
- To make changes in your email address or phone number.
- To use a new email address or phone number to log in.
- You want a different user name to appear on your devices.
- You might have received a message saying “Which account do you want to use” while you were trying to sign in.
A step-by-step guide to customize email/phone number related details
To add a new email address or phone number, do as described:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account using your email address and password.
- Tap “Add email” or “Add a phone number” that you will find under the “Account aliases” section on your Microsoft account page.
If you have selected the option to “Add email”:
- Tap “Create a new email address and add it as an alias” and follow the prompts.
- In case you want to use an existing non-Microsoft email address such as your Gmail or Yahoo mail then tap “Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias”.
- And tap “Add alias”.
- On adding the email address, you’ll be asked to verify your ownership.
- To do so, tap “Verify” that appears next to the “new alias” section.
- Microsoft will send a verification message to your account.
- Tap on the link provided in the message that you have received.
- This will confirm your account ownership and make you eligible to make further changes.
If you have selected the option to “Add a phone number”:
- Choose the country from where you are accessing your account.
- Type in the Phone number that you want to use for your account.
- Tap “Next”.
- You will receive a message to verify the phone number. Enter the alphanumeric code to complete the process.
- Tap “Next”.
Having created a Microsoft account allows you to access various services on different devices. You can also make changes in the account credentials whenever you need to. In case you are facing trouble while editing particulars in your Microsoft account, you can seek expert assistance by dialing the support number given on the website.